William Xanttopoulos is a partner in the Miami office, focusing primarily upon commercial litigation. William has successfully litigated cases involving a diverse range of subjects, including: breach of contract, fraud claims, accountants’ and lawyers’ professional liability, price discrimination, receiverships, bankruptcy, intellectual property, healthcare law, insurance regulation, corporate disputes, maritime law, first-party property insurance, bad faith defense, personal injury, federal criminal law (including over seven years as a federal prosecutor in the United States Attorneys’ Office for the Southern District of Florida) and representation of individuals and corporations at trial, in grand jury proceedings, and internal corporate investigations. William has experience resolving disputes expeditiously, when possible, but has also handled a large number of cases through trial and appeal.
Mr. Xanttopoulos is admitted in the state courts of New York and Florida as well as the federal courts in the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida.
William has been responsible individually and as a member of the trial team in important highly complex cases obtaining favorable results for his clients, including:
- As trial co-counsel, in what was at the time one of the largest civil fraud cases in the history of South Florida which proceeded both as an SEC receivership and class action (Successfully settled after the commencement of trial. In all, the receivership recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for fraud victims). For approximately 2 and ½ years collaborated with co-counsel, supervised a number of junior attorneys, and worked extensively with forensic accountants on financial issues relating to bankrupt company through which individual defendants operated a large Ponzi scheme;
- As trial co-counsel in the CenTrust Bank prosecution, one of, if not the most, significant bank fraud prosecutions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice as a result of the savings and loan crisis (Favorable verdict reached after six-week jury trial – Awarded Department of Justice’s Director’s Award for outstanding service);
- Obtained seven figure settlements for clients in cases involving legal malpractice, price discrimination, healthcare contracts, and sexual harassment;
- Managed significant internal corporate investigation for one of the country’s largest international charities.
- Favorably resolved liquidation proceeding brought by the state of Florida against an insurance company and its principals.
- Successfully represented a gasoline distribution company in a price discrimination suit against one of the major international oil companies in federal court. After litigation of discovery issues and evidentiary hearings, obtained a report and recommendation defaulting the defendant on issue of liability for discovery abuse.
- University of Texas, J.D.
- University of the Pacific, B.A.
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida