Edward S. Polk is a partner in the firm’s Miami office, and leads the firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He focuses his practice on the defense of intellectual property claims (including Lanham Act and common law trademark and copyright infringement claims, unfair and deceptive trade practices claims, trademark counterfeiting, dilution and false origin, false advertising and related state and federal claims); professional malpractice cases; commercial litigation; education law consultation and litigation; and employment law. He is admitted to practice before all state courts in Florida; the United States District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida; the Third, Fifth and Eleventh United States Circuit Courts of Appeals; and the Florida Division of Administrative Hearings.
Mr. Polk has tried cases in state and federal courts and administrative agencies throughout Florida, as well as having argued appeals in each of Florida’s appellate courts and in the Eleventh United States Circuit Court of Appeals, and he has appeared in trademark and copyright infringement claims before various courts in other states and in the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Polk received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill). After serving as an adjuster for The Travelers Insurance Companies, he attended law school at the University of Miami, where he earned his Juris Doctor degree cum laude. During his time in law school Mr. Polk served as Research Editor of the University of Miami Law Review and, with Professor Richard H. Lee, authored the Survey of Insurance Law for that publication.
Mr. Polk is also an experienced author of articles and lecturer at seminars and in-house training programs, having written or spoken on topics related to Intellectual Property; the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act and other education law topics; FLSA issues; professional malpractice law; civil rights and discrimination law; and civil procedure.
Mr. Polk has served on a grievance committee of The Florida Bar, having chaired Grievance Committee 11 “C”, and has served on various Florida Bar committees including his current service on the Education Law Committee. In his spare time he has served as a management committee member, league commissioner and coach in a basketball league for over 500 children, and has been recognized as Coach of the Year in a prior season.
- Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Liability
- Business/Commercial Law
- Civil Rights Law
- Class Action
- Commercial and Residential Properties
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate, Real Estate and Title Insurance Transactions
- Country Club, Condominium and Homeowners' Association Law
- Directors and Officers
- Education Law
- Employment and Labor
- Federal Practice
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Fraud Litigation
- Hospitality Industry Defense
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Intellectual Property (Patent and Trademark)
- Legal Malpractice
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Premises Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Qui tam/False Claim/Whistleblower Claims
- Vehicle Negligence
- University of Miami, J.D., cum laude
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill), B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- Florida Division of Administrative Hearings